Occasionally I need to take note of all the good things about Portland, but still remember the little things that need improvement.
Things I love about Portland:
- The art scene is tight knit, welcoming, opposed to traditionalism, and always experimental.
- There is outstanding food and drink everywhere, and it’s ridiculously affordable.
- Everything is green and beautiful (even when it’s rainy) all of the time, even in the dead center of the city.
- It is some kind of progressive liberal mecca/heaven/nirvana/Valhalla.
Things I don’t completely love about Portland:
- The art scene is still so small, with no money, and our art museum is third-rate when it comes to contemporary art (seriously, look at their upcoming exhibitions).
- The lack of a subway system like NYC or any European city with a population over ten people.
- The architecture is embarrassingly mundane for a city that so heavily focuses on its creative class.
- Tall bikes (stop it already), Voodoo Doughnuts (taste like shit), Powell’s Books (more confusing and not as fun as the internet), Birkenstocks (and dreads too) and paintings of salmon and/or deer.